I have been involved in the field of Bioinformatics and Systems Biology for over 10 years and I have a work experience of 5 years in a research setting. Having worked as a research assistant in 4 labs over the course of my education, I have gained experience both in molecular biology techniques as well as computational techniques involving tool and software development for analysis of data generated by next-generation sequencing technologies.
I am familiar with proteomics and transcriptomics of human and mouse cells. I was also involved in projects for development of genome-scale metabolic reconstruction of bacteria (Streptomyces coelicolor) and in developing systems biology models for optimization of antibiotic production in silico.
I have also contributed to 2 scientific publications during the course of my graduate studies and I am well suited to handle the design and implementation of research projects.
1. Videm, P., Gunasekaran, D., Schröder, B., Mayer, B., Biniossek, M.L. and Schilling, O., 2014. Automated peptide mapping and protein-topographical annotation of proteomics data. BMC bioinformatics, 15(1), p.207.
2. Petrera, A., Gassenhuber, J., Ruf, S., Gunasekaran, D., Esser, J., Shahinian, J.H., Hübschle, T., Rütten, H., Sadowski, T. and Schilling, O., 2016. Cathepsin A inhibition attenuates myocardial infarction-induced heart failure on the functional and proteomic levels. Journal of translational medicine, 14(1), p.153.
Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Master of Science in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
Master of Science in Bioinformatics and Biomedical Informatics (Ongoing)
I have experience in cell culture and proteomics of mouse embryonic fibroblasts and cardiac cells. I have an educational background in molecular biology, genomics and transcriptomics as well.
I have programming experience in Python, Perl, R and Bash. I am familiar with using machine learning packages and linux based tools for data analysis and model development. I have also been involved in software development for visualizing proteomic data.
Past & ongoing projects:
1. Data mining and development of standardization procedure for documenting metagenomic data.
2. Development of a software tool for visualizing proteomic data.
3. Elucidating mechanism of action of drug for treatment of myocardial infarction.
4. Genome-scale reconstruction of Streptomyces coelicolor and optimization of antibiotic production in silico.
5. Identifying RNA editing in Arabidopsis thaliana.
6. Identifying mechanisms of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.