Expertise in the application of genomic, biochemical and bioinformatics methods to understand the emergence of antimicrobial resistance and to develop strategies for alternative therapeutics.
From providing scientific oversight for antibody engineering and discovery to novel target identification, I have developed experienve in the analysis and synthesis of information from next-generation sequencing data, gene expression profiles, protein-protein interactions and metagenomic data mining to establish an understanding of the emergence of antibiotic resistance and vaccine escape events and utilize this analysis to inform alternative methods of therapy such as protein based vaccines, synergistic combinations of therapy and probiotic cocktails.
I have introduced and provided leadership on bioinformatics pipelines that streamline and improve efficiency of target discovery and antibody engineering methods. To mediate these analyses, I have initiated and prepared grant applications to sucessfully acquire funding for collaborative projects.
Infectious diseases: Plasmodium falciparum, Entamoeba histolytica, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Clostridium difficile, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Enterococcus faecium, Campylobacter jejuni, Salmonella enterica
Biochemistry: X-ray crystallography, protein-protein interactions and proteomic analysis.
Plant molecular biology: Arabidopsis thaliana, metabolic engineering of aromatic amino acid biosynthesis through genetic manipulation.
R, Python, Perl
Past & ongoing projects:
1)Introducing and providing leadership on bioinformatics pipelines that streamline and improve the efficiency of target discovery, antibody selection from phage display libraries and antibody engineering methods against pathogens that impact animal health and food safety.
2) Phylogenomic analysis to trace microevolutionary events of Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
3) Metagenomic analysis of the gut microbiota population shifts associated with Clostridium difficile infection and subsequent fecal microbiota transplantation.
4) Designed a chemical proteomic approach to identify novel anti-parasitic drugs and drug combinations.
5) Analysis of plasmid encoded antimicrobial resistance factors in Enterococcus faecium.
6) Gene expression analysis of the model plant organism Arabidopsis thaliana in response to stress.
7) Analysis of the mode of aromatic amino acid biosynthesis in plants and bacteria using X-ray crystallography and gene expression analysis.
8) Insight on the mechanism of regulation of the multiple antibiotic resistance repressor
family of proteins using X-ray crystallography.